Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bay 101

I was at a tradeshow last week in San Jose, and had a couple of hours to kill, so I hit up the Bay 101. I have never played there before, but have played at the other (can't remember the name) cardroom in San Jose. The Bay 101 is massive, and had lots of open space for a cardroom. No Limit Poker is banned by city ordinance in San Jose, so I would have to play limit, which I can't really stand, but beggars cant be choosers. I put myself on the 3/6 holdem list and was called in about 5 minutes. I sit down and on the second hand I limp with 44, and flop a set. If there is one thing I have learned, you don't slowplay in limit. I bet and raised all the way to the end after turning a boat, and won a nice $140 pot. An orbit later I limp and call a raise with 55, flop a set, turn a boat and win another big pot. Later, I would flop the nut straight and a boat with KQ, continuing with my bet at all opportunities philosophy. The table was giving me much respect, and I probably had some good bluffing opportunities, but I would have to leave after an hour and a half up $115. I was up $145, but gave some back on AQ when I the flop came AKx, and I jammed the pot all the way but could not get a K5 to fold, and a 5 hit on the river.

I have a couple of observations on Limit Holdem. First there is a much higher luck factor than NL. You are going to need cards, and good ones to win. Bluffing at 3/6 really does not work. It is very frustrating to play your A-game and lose, while some retard is dragging back pot after pot on rivered flushes and straights. It was nice to get cards and win this time, but the cards almost played themselves. My second observation is when you are playing in the California card clubs which rake a flat $4-5 everyhand you need to make some adjustments vs. A Vegas style 5% rake. You need to be playing hands that will generate a big pot, that you will likely win. Small pots are a waste of time, and will end up being raked a huge % if you win on the flop or turn. You could see $4 raked out of a $8 pot for example. You want to be playing the big drawing hands like pocket pairs, suited connectors, Axs. And you want to bet them hard the whole way, if you have a good shot of hitting. There is not much that can be done with an unimproved big pocket pair (still raise preflop), so you probably want to limit the pot size till the turn. Anyway, thats all for now, but always look at the rake structure and adjust as required. Making a $6 bet on the turn to chase away 2 others and win a $4 pot is not +EV.

1 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

how about just moving up to the 5/10 Limit tables if there isn't NL. Limit blows especially if their sucking huge rake out of those dinky pots and you probably won't be sitting with a table full of calling stations taking you down with K-5o.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home