Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Almost Never Slowplay a Monster

You probably have heard this one before. "Never Slowplay a Monster!" I was never fully in this camp before, but things may be changing. First of all, what is a monster? I will propose that a "monster" is a flopped hand that is so good, it is very unlikely that the turn or river will make it a second best hand. Qualifying hands would be a flopped straight flush, or quads. Top boat could also be considered a monster. A nut flush however is not a monster, as the board pairing can make it second best quick. A non-nut flush is in no way a monster. My thinking has always been when I flop a monster against a bunch of limpers is too slowplay it. I want these guys to catch up, and make a decent 2nd best hand, and I will then be able to get more money in later. I am not worried about my hand getting beat, so this is one of the true slowplaying opportunities. If I am heads up, or the pot was raised preflop, I am probably going to bet it, because that is what I would do with or without a hand. A hand from yesterday really shows how slowplaying a monster can be incorrect even against a bunch of limpers.

DoylesRoom, .50/1 nl, 9 players
I get QJs in the cutoff
Three limpers before me, I limp, BB checks, 5 see flop
Flop JJJ
I just flopped a monster and will be in position throughout
Check, Check, Check, Bet 4, I just call
I just make the call here, as I am hoping I will get callers behind me, and I dont want to scare away the better. I am also hoping an A will drop, giving a fish what looks like the nutz.
Fold, Fold, Fold.
Turn Q
other guy bets 8
Wow, I have a "yacht", a 4+2 boat. Great hand, it beats a "Doublewide", a 3+3 boat, but not a "Baby Royal", a K high straight flush. Webster are you reading this, cause I want credit.
I just call again
I figure lets just keep building the pot, and I will reraise the river. This guy is going to fire a third bullet right.
River Blank
Check
I bet 8 (for value)
other guy calls, and I win a $42 pot
other guy started the hand with $82

What did the other guy have? I honestly did not even think about it during the hand which was a big mistake. This is how the hand should have been played.

DoylesRoom, .50/1 nl, 9 players
I get QJs in the cutoff
Three limpers before me, I limp, BB checks, 5 see flop
Flop JJJ I just flopped a monster and will be in position throughout
Check, Check, Check, Bet 4
I just flopped a monster. What does this guy have? AA, KK, QQ and AK are all not likely, as the pot was not raised preflop. JJ is not possible, and the flop is pretty scary for anything less then a pocket pair. This guy probably has a TT or a smaller pocket pair, AQ or possibly AT. If I just call, the guys behind are not going to come unless they have a medium to low pocket pair, but they checked so this is unlikely. Paint or an A to come is too scary for them to slowplay a pocket pair. So if they are not going to call, and this guy has a pocket pair, he thinks he is good now, and any big card to hit is going to scare him off. I need to reraise here and get the money in, while this guy thinks he is ahead. Plus this is a little deceptive as I am reraising the flop with quads.
I reraise to $10 total.
Other guy thinks. No raise preflop, so no AA, KK, QQ or AK. He probably does not make that move with quads. I have the nutz!
reraise all-in
I call
Board JJJQx
Blinders shows QJs for quad Jacks
Other guy shows TT for a fullhouse Jacks over Tens
Blinders wins $164 pot

As you can see, I screwed this hand up by not trying to put the other guy on a hand, and vise versa. Never slowplay a monster, or almost never I should say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home