Wednesday, December 20, 2006

$1580 - Weak-Tight Hand of the Week

I have not done an update to the ladder challenge in a little bit, so here it is. I took another shot at 2/4 NL, and got on some pretty good tables and worked my way to almost even. Then in my next session at 2/4 NL, I played the hand below. It was played pretty weakly/poorly possibly on all streets. I will explain my thought process at the time, but feel free to show me where I made mistakes, or what you would have done.

FullTiltPoker Game #1432200842: Table Fogg
- $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:38:58 ET - 2006/12/18
Seat 1: w1cked ($560.80)
Seat 2: race62 ($155.25)
Seat 3: Blinders ($392)
Seat 4: GamblingSOB ($174.10)
Seat 5: omidf ($178.60)
Seat 6: bg26892 ($456.25)
Seat 8: treborff ($318.90)
Seat 9: loweighties ($519.30)
GamblingSOB posts the small blind of $2
omidf posts the big blind of $4
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Blinders [Kc Qc]
bg26892 folds
treborff folds
loweighties folds
w1cked raises to $16
race62 folds

I had not been at the table long, but I had a read on W1cked. He was very aggressive pre and post flop. He was raising to $14 a lot preflop. On one hand he was popped back to $42, tanked, then called. On a T high flop, he got it all in with the other guy, and his ATo was good against AK. It appeared he would go to the felt with an overpair or top pair pretty easy.

His raise to $16 bothered me a little (he always went to $14 before), but I am in position with a hand that has lots of possibilities. I decide to just call.

Blinders calls $16

GamblingSOB foldsomidf folds
*** FLOP *** [8c 8s 9c]
w1cked bets $32

Standard C-bet here. I have a pretty fat draw with the two overs and the flush draw. W1cked could have anything at this point. I decide to min raise him back for a few reasons. First, it will help narrow W1cked's range. Second, if he only calls, I can take control of the betting. Third, if he only calls, he may check to me on the turn giving me a free card. Lastly, I might win the pot right here.


Blinders raises to $64

w1cked raises to $120

Damn, there goes my plan. Assuming that my overs would be good (not so sure anymore), I have 15 outs, and have the pot odds easy to call here and try to hit by the turn. I also could jam right here, as that would appear pretty strong, but I am not sure I can push this guy off of an over pair. I think he has a middle type pair at this point. Say QQ-99. TT or JJ would make calling a good play. I decide to just call.

Blinders calls $56

*** TURN *** [8c 8s 9c] [2s]

w1cked bets $200

I am starting to think that my K or Q would not be good. Flush may be good, but I really do not have the odds to chase anymore. Time to cut my losses.

Blinders folds

w1cked mucks

w1cked wins the pot ($275)

Alright where did I screw that hand up (every street is a reasonable answer), and what hand do you think W1cked had.

4 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

Hard to tell what he had and where you went wrong. I would say that pre-flop call and the min-raise showed weakness but the call to the re-raise screamed DRAW.

I am usually a pesimist so I would say he had A8 suited, hit his set and was trying to push you off a flush draw, especially on the turn where there were two draws.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Fuel55 said...

The guy desperately wanted you to fold. I dont give him much of a hand: Middle pair, maybe TT at best but you've got even less than he does. Suited A9 is also possible.

Mistakes as I see them:

1) Never min. raise on the flop - it looks cheesy and gives huge odds for your opponent to call.

2) When he repopped you either PUSH or FOLD. Never NEVER NEVER call in this situation.

3) Keep the pot small throughout the hand - the best you cant hope for here is 2nd nut flush on a paired board why set yourself up to go broke?

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

i don't see how you can screw this hand up much worse.

calling, minreraising, calling then folding. WTF

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

this is what Phil Gordon has to say about aggression in poker:

Q: Why is raising and aggression so important in poker?
A: There are multiple reasons why I raise, here are the main ones:

1) Limit the competition
2) Take control of the betting
3) Make opponents define their hand
4) Steal the blinds
5) Conceal strength of my hand


The alternative of check/calling and playing passively yields none of the above benefits.


'nuff said

 

Post a Comment

<< Home