Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Back To The Old Grind


I have hardly been running any cash games lately. I have been focusing on S&Gs and MTTs. I have had some success with the S&Gs, but was not able to bring my MTT results into the positive. It is going to take a big cash to do that, and I am not giving up yet.

I have a $500 reload bonus on FullTilt that expires in about 3 weeks. I have $370 left to clear and will never be able to do it playing S&Gs and MTTs. I played some cash games last night just to get the rust off, and things went pretty well. One of my goals this year is to play higher stakes cash games. Now is the time, a perfect storm I would say, to launch my ladder challenge. Basically this is a spin on the Doubleas ladder challenge. I will start with $1000 bankroll and play at a level based on the size of the roll. If the roll grows, I move up. If it contracts, I move down. See Below:

Starting Bankroll $1000

Play .50/1 nl - Bankroll >$800
Play 1/2 nl - Bankroll $800-1600
Play 2/4 nl - Bankroll $1600-2400
Play 3/6 nl - Bankroll $2400-4000
Play 5/10 nl - Bankroll $4000+

A couple of notes:

1) My starting bankroll is just a small portion of my overall online bankroll, so it will not be too painful if I bust.

2) If I can get to $5000, I will remove the $1000 starting amount so I can freeroll the challenge.

3) My ultimate goal here is to make one of the higher levels my ATM. $.50/1 nl is my ATM right now, but it needs to be a higher, much higher.

4) Bonus earned does not count. I should clear $370 in bonus early on in the challenge.

I am going to start a new poker tracker database, to monitor my results. I will be doing this on FullTilt. As I move up, I need to watch out for HellaStacks. Last night he has over 7k at a 3/6 table, and over 4k at two 5/10 tables. 7k+ at a 3/6 table seems pretty impressive. It would be like getting to 1200 at .50/1 nl. Watch out for HellaStacks!

6 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

ya, i've run into this guy before. he had a bit less than 7k when i was at his table.

he didn't want none of smokkee tho:
FullTiltPoker Game #1249598245: Table Lantana Falls - $3/$6 - No Limit Hold'em - 2:43:48 ET - 2006/11/15
Seat 1: White_Sauce ($300)
Seat 2: scotchnlobster ($363.25)
Seat 3: ExpediaDOTcom ($780.05)
Seat 4: dontplayahate ($335.50)
Seat 5: smokkee ($872.05)
Seat 6: Dinson ($804)
Seat 7: P0KERPR0 ($1,302.80)
Seat 8: 21SeanTaylor ($765.80)
Seat 9: HellaStacks_ ($6,952.90)
21SeanTaylor posts the small blind of $3
HellaStacks_ posts the big blind of $6
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to smokkee [7d Ad]
scotchnlobster folds
ExpediaDOTcom folds
dontplayahate folds
smokkee calls $6
Dinson folds
P0KERPR0 calls $6
21SeanTaylor folds
HellaStacks_ checks
*** FLOP *** [7h Ac 9h]
HellaStacks_ bets $21
smokkee calls $21
P0KERPR0 folds
*** TURN *** [7h Ac 9h] [Kd]
HellaStacks_ checks
smokkee bets $54
HellaStacks_ folds
Uncalled bet of $54 returned to smokkee
smokkee mucks
smokkee wins the pot ($60)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $63 | Rake $3
Board: [7h Ac 9h Kd]

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

lol - that may be the funniest comment I've read in a month.

I like this idea Blinders. I think I'll do it too. Exactly like you laid out. Time to bring the same focus to my cash game I use on my MTT game.

Yes that WAS a joke.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

I quote smokkee now from a comment two posts ago

smokkee said...
"don't slow play. drop it from your game plan altogether."

That hand you just played looks a lot like a slow play to me. Might want to try practicing what you preach.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

what i meant was:

"don't slow play if you can't fold when you get outdrawn".

i was ready to fold my hand there if a heart came and Hella showed sum aggression. i slow played the flop, hoping Hella would put me on a flush draw and make a big bet at the pot so i could get more chips out of him. but, i'm still not willing to commit my whole stack with that hand.

if he pushes after the turn, i'm folding my two pair. unless, i catch a boat (obv).

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger AnguilA said...

I like that ladder challenge. I have a more cautious approach though to prevent me from busting.

100NL < 1.2K
200NL < 3k
400NL > 3k

I'm not contemplating more because for the moment my long term goal is to be profitable at 2-4. I'm currently at 2.5k but suffered a little setback yesterday...

I'll be looking how you progress...

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

Anguila,

My .50/1 nl game is pretty solid. I can't imagine dropping $800 at .50/1 nl, so for me it's safe. My problem is I need to force myself up the ladder, and this is a way to do it. You can check out the DoubleAs version (he invented it I believe and he has it posted and in his book), or just modify what I did to what will work for you. I would suggest including a level that you know you can beat as the lowest level, so you can drop down there to recover, as required. GL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home