Sunday, November 12, 2006

#2948

Well, not sure if I got my money's worth there.

I went ahead and did the cash buy-in for the FTOPS #2. I pick up 77 on the button about 8 hands in. Blinds 15/30, and MP open raises to 105. I call and I'm heads up with the raiser and in position. Flop comes 765 rainbow (top set for the poker challenged). Initial raiser bets about the pot. I am thinking how can I get this guys whole stack. I am putting him on a couple big cards or a decent pocket pair. I am not overly concerned about the board, as I don't think he likely has the 4 or 8. I think this guy will fire again with overs or an over pair if I show weakness.

I call with the intention of making a big bet on the turn and taking it down. Turn brings a nightmare 8 making it four cards to a straight. Initial raiser leads out again about pot size. Well, I hate that card, but I really can't put him on the 9. My read was I could let him take one off with this board because he did not have an 8 or 4. Lets add the 9 assuming he was not drawing to the gutshot. He did raise preflop in MP at a full ring 3.5x. I don't think I can fold my set here, but need to end things quick. If he has the miracle 9 (99?), I still have outs to a boat or quads. I reraise big (but not all-in?). He pushes. At this point I have to call, and have the odds against all but 88. He has:

Q9 sooooted.

Details are below. Bummer. I think I played it all right, but possibly not perfect. I probably get stacked even if I play it perfect. Not going to let flopped top set go in a tourney, unless I got big reasons to think I'm beat, and I didn't. Quick exit kind of sucked because I thought I had a real shot at this one. Congrats to smokkee, who hung in for a cash in the event, and my condolences to Iakaris, who declined a last longer bet with me that would have been in the bag after the 1st orbit.

Full Tilt Poker Game #1236534258: FTOPS Event #2 (8101354), Table 6 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:08:34 ET - 2006/11/12
Seat 1: SlickSlySpy (3,030)
Seat 2: AllInFirstHand (2,940)
Seat 3: Bluechip200 (2,955)
Seat 4: JACKontheRIVER (3,135)
Seat 5: Ltchc (2,955)
Seat 6: I Am Ari (2,760)
Seat 7: Blinders (3,000)
Seat 8: unodostres (6,525)
Seat 9: rhino2 (2,640)
unodostres posts the small blind of 15
rhino2 posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Blinders [7c 7d]
SlickSlySpy folds
AllInFirstHand folds
Bluechip200 folds
JACKontheRIVER has 15 seconds left to act
JACKontheRIVER raises to 105
Ltchc folds
I Am Ari folds
Blinders calls 105
unodostres folds
rhino2 folds
*** FLOP *** [5c 7h 6s]
JACKontheRIVER bets 255
Blinders calls 255
*** TURN *** [5c 7h 6s] [8c]
JACKontheRIVER bets 765
Blinders raises to 1,770
JACKontheRIVER raises to 2,775, and is all in
Blinders calls 870, and is all in
JACKontheRIVER shows [9c Qc]
Blinders shows [7c 7d]
Uncalled bet of 135 returned to JACKontheRIVER
*** RIVER *** [5c 7h 6s 8c] [Qh]
JACKontheRIVER shows a straight, Nine high
Blinders shows three of a kind, Sevens
JACKontheRIVER wins the pot (6,045) with a straight, Nine high
Blinders stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6,045 Rake 0
Board: [5c 7h 6s 8c Qh]
Seat 1: SlickSlySpy didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: AllInFirstHand didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: Bluechip200 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: JACKontheRIVER showed [9c Qc] and won (6,045) with a straight, Nine high
Seat 5: Ltchc didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: I Am Ari didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: Blinders (button) showed [7c 7d] and lost with three of a kind, Sevens
Seat 8: unodostres (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: rhino2 (big blind) folded before the Flop

6 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

don't slow play. drop it from your game plan altogether.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Blinders said...

I understand the arguments for not slow-playing, but I think they are results based. If he catches a 9 or Q on the turn, I might stack him. If he does not, he probably fires again and I make more money. He ultimatley caught a 4 outer or 9% shot. 91% of the time the slow play works. I was heads up against a preflop raiser, so I was able to limit his range. The board was coordinated, but low.

If I reraise the flop, which is the only way I could have played it differently, I don't think I can push him off his apparent draw (2 overs, + gutshot + runner runner flush). Had I known his exact hand, I probably still slow play it.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

you gotta reraise him on the flop. it/s an opportunity to get him more committed to the pot with a weak hand. i would've reraised to $750 at this point. that sends a clear message he's beat. if he's a donk, he'll call. if he gets lucky, you can still get away from it. i realize it's hard to put him on that hand. but, there's 4 cards to a straight after the turn. you don't want to commit your stack at that point. you're praying for a miracle on the river. that's a bad spot to get all your chips in.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger lucko said...

No way I slow play on this board. I am not just raising to make him pay for a draw, but also get more money in the pot right now. If he has something like Aces or Kings and a 9, 8, 4 or 3 comes it could kill the action. I want to get as much money in on this flop as I can.

Your quote - "Had I known his exact hand, I probably still slow play it." isn't really the right way to look at it IMO. You can never know what your opponent has. You need to consider what is the best play against his entire range of hands. I just don't see slow playing being it here.

Either way, that is a brutal hand, very tough way to go out.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

I feel your pain, and of course am cursing myself for not taking that bet!

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only way to know where you stand after the flop is to raise. When I see a flop like that after someone pot raised pre I always think of connectors.He could have been playing 8-9 or even 3-4 suited or not.
And before I even read the hand I knew you were beat on the turn. I don't understand your reraise on the turn at all.
Then again, I don't even get to play these kinds of tournaments, so what the hell do I know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home