Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Finally I have something to blog about, and the definition of squinty rockets


I just took down the WWdN. Yup, Blinders is king of the blogosphere (for a day at least). It was an extremely rare (for me), near wire to wire dominating performance. In a very rare WWdN appearance for me. I thinks it was just my 2nd time in the WWdN. I have played the MATH once, and don't think I have ever played the mook. I try to turn out for the DADI and the bigger events whenever possible, and of course the Big Game.

I drew Iak's left, and said "nice, free money on my right". For some reason, we were discussing A4. I have always considered this hand close to AA. It looks almost the same and has the nickname "two pointies". I said that if you squint your eyes enough it looks like AA. Squinty Rockets. I would get squinty rockets and KK in a 5 out of 8 hand stretch early. Playing them all like AA or KK, and getting played back with TPTK to my overpair (this time) for a double up on the third consecutive hand. I was practically running the table. Straight to the top of the leader board where I would be more or less the whole time.

I had the lead at the 1st break, and was close near the 2nd. I eliminated 10th place, and retook the lead going to the final table. Spock was playing aggressive, and I feared him the most. My stack allowed me to remain aggressive, but I was pretty card dead at the final table. When we were down to about 5 handed, I had raised about 3 hands in a row and then picked up 88. I raised again, and this time Spock reraised. I was pretty sure it was overs, because he was fed up. I had the pot odds easy, and figured that if I won, I would be able to win the whole thing. It would have crippled the player I feared the most, and and gave me a huge chip lead if I won the hand. I also thought I might be able to push him off weaker overs.

So I pushed. He called with AK, and my 88 held. Set in fact. From that point on it was pretty much over. I picked my spots, and knocked out most of everyone else. Heads up was like 43k to 6k in chips when it started. The heads up battle took a while, but never really went anywhere until the final hand when I had KJ vs QJ. Yeah me!

5 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

you finally popped your cherry. congrats!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger NewinNov said...

Congrat. If I'd known there was easy money playing, I'd have someone wake me up from my nap...

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Great job, Blinders. I could not play but managed to watch much of the last hour or so of the event. Your play was exemplary and you fully earned and deserved this win. Way to go man, that's gotta feel good.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

NICE WORK!

Actually overdue, IMHO, so it's good to see the playah's representin'

FYI, I am changing my handle to Ia4ka4ris...

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

LOL @ Nov

 

Post a Comment

<< Home