Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Streak Ends and Updated BBT P/E and Cash Standings

Below is the updated BBT Points Per Event Standings based on 9 minimum events entered.

BBT Points/Event Standings

BBT Cash Earned Standings


For those who did not notice my streak of 10 straight BBT events in the points ended last night in the MATH. I went out with AQo, everyones favorite to-the-rail hand in MTTs. I think I played the hand ok, but I thought hard about folding it three different times during the hand. I did not save the history, but I will summarize below.

Blinds at 25/50, and Mike Maloney raises up 3x. I have AQo and position on the raiser. I thought about folding, but I think you need to make the call and take a flop in position with AQ0. The stacks are pretty deep, so there are some nice implied odds if I hit the flop pretty big. I think at least one other called as well. Flop comes Ace high, all hearts and I have no heart. Mike leads out for 1/2 pot. Very dangerous flop, but a good chance I am ahead with an exposed hand. The size of the bet made me think that he did not have a hand that was already ahead of me. If he has AK, two pair or a set, I think he bets more to protect the lead. I see this as a c-bet with air/weak flush draw, or he is on a good draw. I also think that If he is on the draw, it will be hard to push him off it, since he had me nicely covered. I thought about just letting the hand go right there, because I was so exposed to another heart coming, but decided to min. raise back to get some info. I figured this would push him off air or a weak flush draw, and if he just calls it I can reevaluate after the turn comes. He min. raised me back. So it is push or fold time at this point as the pot is getting too big relative to my stack. I still am reading him for a draw here, and think that I am ahead based on this. If I am ahead, I have easy pot odds to call. I am behind a flopped flush (not likely), AK, a set or two pair. Again, I don't think the betting pattern indicates AK, set or two pair. I really wish you had more time to think online because this was a tough one. I decide to Jam, and Mike tanks, making me convinced it was the correct play. He eventually calls, and flips up AxQh for the tie, but a freeroll to the flush for him. Turn and river were both hearts, and IGHN. Jam may have still been correct if I knew what he had, based on pot odds at the time. Oh well.

Going to skip the mookie this week as it is home game night on Wednesday. Hopefully, I can get a run going again soon.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

A very nice run in the BBT points man, nothing to be ashamed about finally missing the points in one of them. That said I think you completely misplayed this hand. The minraise was not the kind of reserved caution that you absolutely must play AQ with, and then jamming when he reraised you on the three-to-a-suit flop was sheer suicide. I'm sure with time you will come to realize that you classically overplayed AQ there. His AQ freeroll to the flush was about the worst possible holding I would put him on once he reraised your minraise on the flop. In any event it's been fun watching your clinic on how to make the BBT points, and I'm looking forward to you being able to take some chances near the end and make a run for the gusto.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

We both went out early with the same hand. I do not know if that is good or bad.. lol. gg.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

I am not saying I played the hand particularly well. I think I can back up the call preflop, but the correct play was fold the flop (I guess?). Any bigger preflop raise pot commits me for sure. I had 1600 behind and the pot was over 2k before the re-min, re-min raise. I honestly thought I had pot odds to jam based on what I said in the post. Lets Assume I know he has AxQh. I jam 1600, and win 1k when he does not catch (we split the 2k). I lose 1600 when he does catch. He catches 36%. It is a +EV Jam knowing he has AxQh and will call. I thought I was ahead, but would lose to a flush or fat flush draw. That case is even more +EV because I win the whole pot if he misses. I also thought there was a chance that he was bluffing, as it clearly would pot commit me if I continued on. Cheap way to use your chips to take a nice pot down. So I think you can defend the jam based on all this.
Call the flop is the last option, but I don't even have that move in my playbook.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Mike Maloney said...

Just to clarify a few things, I raised 3.5x (175), so there was about 450 in the pot. I think I led out for 275 or so.

You min-raised that, and I jacked it up to somewhere in the range of 1700, so I definitely did not min-raise you back. To be honest, I'm not really sure why you called that bet. I had top pair, good kicker, and a draw to the second nuts. The only card I was really afraid of was the Kh, and knowing how you play, the only way I see you holding that card is if you have AxKh or KhKx. Odds are that you probably don't have those hands, so even if you've got a set or AxKx I still have the flush draw to fall back on.

If you min-raise me to 550 or whatever it was, and I re-pop it to 1700, shouldn't you lay it down at that point? I know you've already got 700 chips in the pot, but why not live to see another day? Your hand analysis is usually really strong, it just seems like pushing after my re-raise, knowing I have to call it, looked like a desperation move. Actually, it looked like something I would do, lol.

Anyways, tough break, if it's any consolation I donked in 19th after not being able to play a hand past the flop for the last hour of the tournament.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

how do you jam his reraise with TPTK on a unisuit board and none of that suit?

i thought u used the 4-color deck.

worst push ever

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Blinders said...

Thanks Mike. I did not save the hand history, and I hate going over hands with out it. The correct move is fold the flop. I am not happy about how I played it. Playing a big pot with a pair on that board was suicide.

Having said that though, my read on your hand was actually correct, and no one seems to give me credit for this. You were not already ahead of me. If I know exactly what you have the Jam is still +EV (unless I screwed the math up). How can a +EV jam be the "worst jam ever".

It is not like me to play this way early in MTTs. I also get in a ton of trouble at home for playing MTTs on weeknights (why I don't play many). When I saw the stack I had left (about 1600), with the read that I had, I went for the push that would end my night right there (less trouble), or get me some chips to commit to the tourney with. Lame excuse, but was a factor. I also needed way more time to think it through.

Side note: I like to post/discuss hands that are outside of how I normally play becuase they are interesting to me, and they can throw you guys off a bit as well. After seeing me go to the felt like that, I may get a looser call later. lol.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger NewinNov said...

Yeah AQ is a beoch at times. I also went out on that hand call a standard raise and flopping TPTK but raiser flopped a set.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

That really is not the way you play the game usually, and that's what was so interesting to me about this hand. Like Mike said, this is how I might play this hand, but not usually Blinders.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

"Even the mighty Blinders can donk his way out of a tournament." It is crazy to even imagine it.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

time to update the board again donkey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home