Sunday, May 13, 2007

Seven Things

Nobody tagged me for this, but I thought I would do it anyway. I hope I am not breaking any rules here. There is a small bit of poker content at the bottom, but nothing in the seven.

1) I know how to beat a lie detector test: Back in the old days before they used your piss to screen you for a new job, they would use a lie detector test. Because I had some stuff to hide from prospective employers I developed this scheme for passing them that went 3 for 3. First, you drink one Foster's oil can (24 oz) on an empty stomach and chew some gum to mask your breath. This tends to dampen your response to the test. Second, you come up with your own questions that you can safely answer yes and no to. When they ask you a question that you need to lie on, just ignore the question, and ask yourself in your head the safe question. Works every time.

2) Me and a group of my friends were responsible for instigating the Huntington Beach Riot at the OP Pro: We did not plan for this to happen and were no way involved in the actual rioting, but it would have never started without us. I have planned to do a series of posts on the dynamics of a riot that can start for apparently no reason in a large crowd. May save that one for a book, but who am I kidding. If you guys bug me enough, I will do it. I promise it will be fascinating.

3) I met my wife at the Shark Club in Las Vegas: I also met many a one night stand at what was the premiere night club in Vegas well before hotel clubs were in vogue (or even existed). It is actually possible to meet a nice girl in such a shady establishment.

4) I invented a baseball betting system that is simple and actually works: While attending UNLV for my undergrad degree, I came up with a system for betting baseball that worked for several years (and I am sure it still does). Although I did not have much money back then, I would bet $1000s a day on baseball, and was probably considered quite a high roller by a few of the sports book. I will not reveal the system here, but ask me in person sometime and I will tell.

5) I have spent time in jail on three different occasions: I was pretty broke and irresponsible in my early driving days. I got lots of tickets, and would blow off paying them for lack of funds. The next time I would get pulled over, they would find a warrant for one of my previous tickets, and I would serve out the time in jail vs. paying. OC Jail twice, San Bernardino Jail once.

6) I was once a member in a punk band: When I was 14 a group of friends and I formed a punk band called "Task Force". I played bass with the stage name "Jack Shit", and wrote most of our original songs. We played a handful of parties, and even had a gig as an opening band at the infamous Cookoos Nest. I am in no way a musician, but playing Bass for a few 2 minute punk songs was not that difficult.

7) Not going to reveal this one yet: I am going to keep number 7 a secret for now. I will reveal it at the summer Vegas gathering in a couple of weeks, and update this post afterwards. It is too big of a secret right now, but belongs on the list.

Now that that is over, just a small bit of poker content. I cashed in the blogger bracelet race tonight.

Nothing to special about the 4th place finish. I had loads of chips most of the way. What was interesting was the bubble play. I actually folded TT to the chipleader's (ScarKnight) raise on the bubble. The chipleader was way ahead and raising constantly, so I know my TT was a big favorite. You know I am tight, but am I insane? I have been rereading Harrington 3 recently, and he talks a bunch about bubble play in S&Gs. It turns out that if you have a safe amount of chips, and you are looking to call a raise for everything on the bubble, the calling requirements are very strict. With the number of entries and top four getting paid this was basically a S&G structure. There were a couple others with similar sized stacks and a chip leader who was way ahead of everyone else. Folding TT is actually the correct move 5 handed and on the bubble in this situation. It maximizes the expected value of the cash in the MTT. No reason to take a coinflip or even a 60/40 type hand on the bubble if you can safely fold to the money. So I folded and as expected the bubble burst shortly after that hand. Now in the money, and in third place, I went ahead and got it in with AQo against the leaders preflop raise. I would lose to a rivered flush, and watch the shorty get eliminated on the next hand. Probably could have folded again and moved up another position, but at this point I was playing to get heads-up and I needed to chip-up to compete with Al's stack to get there. The history from my last hand is below, but as I said above it is a bad beat so no reason for comments.

Full Tilt Poker Game #2419385215: Chasers/Blogger Bracelet Race (16567662), Table 1 - 500/1000 Ante 125 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:44:53 ET - 2007/05/13
Seat 1: ScarKnight (65,604)
Seat 2: Blinders (6,866)
Seat 3: IslandBum1 (3,494)
Seat 4: AlCantHang (17,036)
ScarKnight antes 125
Blinders antes 125
IslandBum1 antes 125
AlCantHang antes 125
ScarKnight posts the small blind of 500
Blinders posts the big blind of 1,000
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Blinders [Ad Qc]
IslandBum1 folds
AlCantHang folds
ScarKnight raises to 5,000
Blinders raises to 6,741, and is all in
ScarKnight calls 1,741
Blinders shows [Ad Qc]
ScarKnight shows [Ks 4s]
*** FLOP *** [6s Ts 3c]
*** TURN *** [6s Ts 3c] [Ac]
*** RIVER *** [6s Ts 3c Ac] [8s]
Blinders shows a pair of Aces
ScarKnight shows a flush, King high
ScarKnight wins the pot (13,982) with a flush, King high
AlCantHang: gg blinders
Blinders stands up

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger Mike Maloney said...

I like the TT fold. The AQ push is probably good. I mean, it's tough to open a pot with a good hand when the chip leader is raising so much preflop, so while it would be nice to be able to maintain some fold equity if the situation arises, if he's not letting you get your chips in first, then pushing in with AQ is fine, as long as you're okay with the fact that he's proably calling with ATC, or at least a wide range of cards.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger bayne_s said...

Late in tournies Chip count vs. prizes matters more than cards.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

ya, you gotta get outta that fold to the money/pts mentality. that's not how u win tournaments.

if you got sum clown raising a lot of pots preflop, you can come over the top if you have folding equity and he'll most likely fold to you.

you gotta be willing gamboool in tourneys if you wanna finish on top.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Did I just get called an ignorant slut in the comments to your last post? How did you guys find out I am ignorant?

I will take another look at my poker tracker today to try to get the stuff working. Can't wait to send you my screenshot of the +EV with the Hammer. It's cool that it's negative for you and positive for me man -- I'm just about the only guy who knows how to play it well.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

Smokkee,

A couple of key points here. I have no folding equity with the TT as it is basically the same situation as the hand I am eliminated on. I can make a micro raise, but he is calling with anything he raised with based on pot odds. Next, the chip leader is way ahead so my equity for first place is pretty small. I will likely get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th. If I lose the hand I get 5th and no cash. The prize differences are not very big between 2nd - 4th. If you do the math for fold vs push based on all the stack sizes and prizes your expected cash from the tourney is much higher with the fold, even if you put the raiser on a pretty huge range of cards.
Lucko would back me up on this, because he understands the math. I am sure he would hate to fold here, but would do it if the math dictated it.
In a large MTT it is a clear push due to the prize differential at the top, as everything changes

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger bayne_s said...

My best cash in tourney came in $26 tourney sadly in Feb 2006.

Situation as I remember it was
Money paid
1st $5400
2nd $3400
3rd $2500
4th $2000
5th $1500
6th $1000

Stacks were (relative to BB)
Seat 1 80x
Seat 2 5x
Seat 3 5x
Seat 4 30x
Seat 5 (me) 30x
Seat 6 40x

Chip leader was raising every hand and willing to push preflop, correct decision was probably to fold ATC until the micro-stacks died. I was also blessed with shit cards (even by my standards) making this decision trivial.

Seat 6 finished 5th when he re-raised with AA against chip leaders KT preflop and lost when chip leader paired both of his cards.

I played no more hands until chip leader knocked off 2 short stacks.

Winning tournaments is always goal but huge leads can be overcome heads-up if you get to heads-up with enough chips to make decisions.

TT fold was painful but correct.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

why do u think good MTT players take advantage of the bubble?

it's for this exact reason. most players play way too tight and aren't willing to gamble to move up the payout ladder. instead, they try to fold into the money.

you're probably a 3-1 fav in that situation. how can u pass on a chance to dubble up in that situation? esp in a low buy-in tourney. sheesh

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Blinders said...

Smokkee,

I guess I fold there becuase I do not like throwing money in the trash, which is what you are doing if you make a move that lowers your tournament cash equity. You simply do not understand the math which is fine. Again, if this was a big MTT with much,much more cash for the top prizes, it becomes a push instead of a fold. The fold only makes sense for a S&G type payout which this was.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I don't think you're breaking any codes by posting your 7 cuz actually you were tagged... by me. :)

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

getting all your chips in as a 3-1 favorite is not throwing money in the trash.

if it's a bigger tourney with more cash on the line you push and don't fold????

that makes no sense.

you're obv more comfortable NOT taking the necessary risks required to take down a tourney and would rather just fold your way up the payout ladder if you can.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

just wanna say excellent seven things.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

Iggy,

Thanks for the comment on the 7. You were the only one who noticed the non-poker content.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home