Monday, May 11, 2009

Live From the MGM Grand Poker Room

The title is a bit misleading.  I am not live blogging from the MGM poker room right now, but I wanted to go over an interesting hand from a session Saturday night at the MGM Grand poker room.  I sat down at a 1/2 NL Holdem table and bought in for $200.  For the first 45 minutes or so I did not win any hands.  This seems to happen to me a bunch live, because I try to stick to my tight online style even when playing live.  I will play a few more speculative type drawing hands live, because you tend to get more limpers preflop, but even with that it is very easy to go an hour without sweeping a pot. So over 45 minutes I had limped several times, and had only made one actual bet which was a $10 flop bet, that I was immediately chased off.  So I basically had a weak-tight image, and was down to $170 when I pick up AKo on the button.  There was a limp or two and then an Asian lady opened to $12.  While I will always open raise with AK preflop, I don’t like re-raising with it when I am deep stacked, especially against poor MGM grand type players.  In an MTT, where you are rarely as deep as a cash game, it is often correct to go to war preflop with AKo.  This was a cash game though, and I had a decent stack, so I just called in position.  One of the limpers also called.  Flop came down Ax9h8h.  It checked to me on the button.  I made a standard $20 bet with a TPTK flop.  One fold, and then the original raiser re-raised me to $60.  FAWK!  So I started thinking about the action and what she might have.  She raised to $12 preflop (6x).  That seems like too much for AA, 99, or 88.  With AA you would not want to chase people away, and with 99 or 88 you are killing your pot odds by betting so large preflop.  Since I had an Ace, AA was pretty doubtful.  So I could fold, call, reraise, or push.  It was possible that she was on some type of fat draw using the flush or straight possibilities.  If I just called, I would be pretty pot committed.  So without much further thought I went ahead and shoved all-in on the flop with just a pair.  This is not something that I like to do, but it made sense based on the action.  She ended up calling me pretty quick, and I figured that I was dead.  You are not required to flip your cards up at MGM so I watched a couple bricks land on the turn and river.  I flipped over my pair of Aces, and she mucked her hand with a disgusted look on her face.  I swept back a nice $360 pot.  So the question is what was she holding and was my smooth call preflop shove on the flop line correct here with AK?  My guess is that she had AQ or AJ with at least one heart.  She probably figured I would have re-raised with AK preflop, so here pair of aces were good, and she had some outs to a strong hand just in case.  Any other ideas out there?  

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger bastinptc said...

I'm guessing AQ, maybe hearts?

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

KQ of hearts? Maybe AQ but not hearts I don't think. I would almost put her on a heart draw there. I think the only hand I'm really scared of there is A-9. Good read.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

A-Q or A-J maybe with one heart.

Typical push with TPmehK at MGM.

I hate to say it, but because she is Asian, could also be naked flush draw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home