Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hung Like a H.O.R.S.E.

I have been slowly getting back into the online poker thing since I got back from the WSOP. Its been the usual fare of running set into straight, set into higher set, flush into boat....

A little unsettling, but its just a variance thing. Last night I wanted to switch things up a bit and play some single table S&Gs. I usually play the 2 table variety, but the S&G traffic on FullTilt is super weak, and I did not have a ton of time. I ended up running a few turbo single table S&Gs, and then I saw something I had never noticed before.

Single Table Limit H.O.R.S.E S&Gs

I fired up a $5+50 one just for fun, and you know what? It was a blast. Mulitabling holdem can get real monotonous (especially when your getting kicked in the junk left and right). This was something new, and challenging. Well not really challenging. At these limits, the play is pretty horrible, and I could hold my own in games I have never played before (believe it or not). I have always liked Omaha hi/lo split. Don't have the feel like I do for holdem, but it will come. I also discovered that I like the Razz. It's a simple game, and so easy to figure out where you stand. These donks were playing every hand, where I knew how to fold when you start with (KK)Q in Razz. I also like the Stud hi/lo split. I am not very comfortable with straight stud, but you can always just fold the antes, and wait for the next game if you don't get some kind of monster to start.

There was one guy at the table who seemed to know what he was doing and led the S&G most of the way. I won some big pots in Omaha and Stud Hi/lo and stayed second most of the way. When the bubble burst, I was a distant third, but rallied back in Holdem to get well into second place. I let the big stack try to knock out the shorty a couple of times, but it did not work, and I eventually got knocked out in third for a $8 payday. Ok, only $2.50 in profit but the fun was priceless!

If you are ever in a rut at holdem you have to try this. The play is so bad, even a beginner like me can compete. I might even try some Razz cash games in the future. The only problem with the H.O.R.S.E format, is it is tough to multitable. In Holdem, it is much easier to make decisions with the limited info available. In the 7 card games and Omaha, there is a lot more to consider before every decision so it can get a little stressful multitabling. Anyway it was fun, and I am wanting to run more, and maybe move up to the $10+1 level soon.

2 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Couldn't agree more with this post, Blinders. I would say even if you're not in a holdem rut, there are many good and fun reasons to play multiple poker variations, and so far ftp is the only major site I've found that spreads HORSE sngs at all times. I love playing them, except, as I've posted many times, the way that I get nothing but pocket pairs in the Razz games, followed immediately by nothing but cripe in the stud games.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

I also agree. As a low limit HE hack I was getting a little fatigued and so wandered over to the Razz tables at FTP. Big fun.

PokerStars is adding Razz & H.O.R.S.E. soon . . . they have it up already on a test site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home