Monday, January 08, 2007

Inducing A Bluff

I don't have a lot to report on the ladder challenge. I am pretty strict with table selection, so if there are not any good tables to get on, I simply don't play. I was out of town Saturday night, and ended up not playing at all over the weekend. So much for my goal of playing 1.5x as much in 07 as in 06. What I wanted to write about though was inducing bluffs. This is something I have been doing lately that seems to work pretty well. There are few requirements for this play that I will list below, and then we will look at an example hand.

1) You are heads-up post flop
2) You are in position
3) You have a medium strong hand like an over pair or TPTK

Example hand below:

Warning! This play looks a little weak-tight, but it really is not IMO.

FullTiltPoker Game #1558563855: Table Vespertina
- $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:28:30 ET - 2007/01/08
Seat 1: kkeellyy ($36.05)
Seat 2: marius1 ($103.05)
Seat 3: BellyBoyBoy ($205.90)
Seat 4: Blinders ($183.80)
Seat 5: Bobbo Viking ($237.20)
Seat 6: Bigkawik ($199.80)
Seat 7: maniac1028 ($115)
Seat 8: Bentley 18 ($19)
Seat 9: 1forthethumb ($202.75)
Bobbo Viking posts the small blind of $1
Bigkawik posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #4

*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Blinders [Ad Ac]

maniac1028 folds
Bentley 18 folds
1forthethumb folds
kkeellyy folds
marius1 calls $2
BellyBoyBoy folds

Blinders raises to $8

Typical preflop raise amount here after a limper.

Bobbo Viking folds
Bigkawik folds
marius1 calls $6
*** FLOP *** [4h 5c 8c]
marius1 checks

Blinders bets $12

Pretty good flop, but it is in the limp/call range so I need to be careful. A set, 2 pair with 45s, or a straight with 67s are possible. I make my typical 2/3 pot continuation bet.

marius1 calls $12

ok, he is slowplaying a set or straight, on a draw, or has some medium strength hand that he is not sure about. Not a lot of draws out there unless he is drawing to overs.

*** TURN *** [4h 5c 8c] [Qs]

marius1 checks
Blinders checks

Why did I check behind here? For a few reasons. I don't have a real strong hand, so I am managing the pot size in case I am behind. Also, at this level and up people notice when you don't fire again on the turn after c-betting and read it as very weak. I will let this guy go ahead and bluff at it on the river if he so desires. If he checks the river, I will make a smallish value bet behind. This is where I am inducing the bluff.

*** RIVER *** [4h 5c 8c Qs] [7d]

marius1 bets $43

That sure looks like a bluff doesn't it? A 6 would make a straight, but the preflop raise call, and c-bet call, make it doubtfull that helped him. If he did hit the straight I would expect a value sized bet. I would also expect a value sized bet if he was slowplaying a monster. This guy is playing my hand which he thinks is weak, or he has a Q and thinks I will call what looks like a bluff with something worse. The pot is big enough for my overpair, so I will just call.

Blinders calls $43

*** SHOW DOWN ***marius1 shows [Ts Td] (a pair of Tens)
Blinders shows [Ad Ac] (a pair of Aces)
Blinders wins the pot ($126) with a pair of Aces
*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $129 Rake $3Board: [4h 5c 8c Qs 7d]

I think I got all that I could here. If I bet the turn, he has to be concerned that his TT is no good. If he calls my turn bet, he probably checks the river and I probably check behind because I would be very worried I was behind. Game theory wise, this is a pretty good play, because I often shut down on the turn when I have hands like AK and miss the flop, and my c-bet gets called. If you routinely do not fire the second bullet on the turn, you need to not fire as well with medium hands like this. With a monster, I probably just fire on all streets and hope he has a better hand than TT.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

very good play up until the river.

POOOOOOSH it in man !

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger lucko said...

Nah, I like how he played it. Poooshing the river is a bit maniacal. NH.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

Smoke,

I was trying to induce a bluff. He is either bluffing or overbetting for value. If I push, I only get called by a better hand so that would be retarded.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

you would know Lucko.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

I am a pesimist but I think he has a set of Qs or maybe even 7s and value betting. Definately no raise on the river.... You are also opening yourself to a flush by checking the turn. How many times does this work?

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Guin said...

I also like how this play sets up your table image going forward. He can check with an overpair on the turn?!!

VNH.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I think the check on the turn was needlessly pussy. I would definitely have bet there. Why take the chance that another straight card hits the river, and then you're put to a tough decision? IMO, you got lucky he didn't back into a 1-card straight on the river given what card hit the board.
I like the play up to that point though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home