Thursday, September 07, 2006

Day 19

I ran 6 $10 single table S&Gs early in the day to get ready for the Newport Poker Open to be held the night of day 19. The play was horrible in those things compared to my normal cash game competition. I jammed the turn with monster hands three times, and got called each time only to get sucked out on by a 2, 3, and 4 outer on the river each time. In the other 3 I got a first, second, and third for a decent overall profit. My profit would have been real nice if one of the monsters held up. I may try running them 6 at a time, and see what hourly rate I could make. It might be higher than my cash game rate.

I had a goal of winning the player of the year in the Newport Poker Open. I may need to rethink goals of that type. When smokkee was first out, I needed a top 3 finish to take the title (12 people started). Smokkee, had a bounty on my head, and I used it to my advantage by jamming over the top of a preflop raise with KK, and getting called by a bounty hunter with KQo. The double up put me north of 4k with 8 players left. I figured I could fold into at least third if I played it real safe. I had David on my left the entire tourney, and that was a huge disadvantage for me. He knew exactly what I was up to, and constantly punished me for my strategy of limping to third. A key hand that was very strange was when it folded to me on the button and I had KQ. blinds were 100/200, and the BB was short with only another 150 behind after the blind. I raised to 500 looking to get heads up with the shorty, but David called as well. The flop came JTx giving me 2 overs and the outside straight draw. I am a huge favorite here to just about anything, but I needed the third place finish, so I checked behind on the flop. If I was playing to win, I would have C-bet that flop for sure, and jammed if required. The turn brought a blank, and David overbet the pot. I call and a miss on the river would have crippled my stack, so I had to let it go. Turns out David had 97o (9 high), and bet me off the pot with little chance to win against the all-in player, and barely any side pot. River was a K, and David's 9 high somehow held up. I don't know how he makes this play except to specifically keep me from winning the pot, and give it to the shorty. Strange? Anyway, I played my big hands and somehow stayed near 4k most of the way. I laid down AQ to a min raise short handed, and released A9 on a 977 flop after a 3/4 pot bet on the flop. Normally, I would not make these kinds of plays, and there was no monetary value for the season title, so I am doing all of this for some stupid goal that I made. When we got to 4-handed, I still had 4k, and the shorty was below 1k, so it appeared my screwed up strategy might work. It would not as the shorty rallied back, my stack dwindled, and I ended up bubbling out. This made me sick. I played for third and got 4th. If I play for first, there is a good chance I win, and I would have got at least third. Pathetic!

My progress towards my 30 day goal appears to have stalled all of a sudden. No more MTTs for me until the challenge is over. Also, I may run a bunch of single table S&Gs to shake things up a bit. My cash game appears to have gone south, but it is mostly some tough beats/situations lately. A big cash game day would really help my confidence right now.

Sit & Goes +19.30
FullTilt 104h +18.15
Party 92h -39.90
Newport Open -22.00
Day 19 Total -24.45

Challenge Total +747.05

3 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

PWND!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Wow man tough break on that 4th place finish. I'm with you though, let that be a lesson about playing to win and not to finish in 4th place.

If it makes you feel any better, Smokkee donked out of Mookie's charity tournament last night when he had a massive stack but decided he just had to push allin preflop with 22 against a guy who had already raised it up preflop himself. The other guy turned out to have pocket Kings, and Smokkee GH in like 16th place or something. It was definitely not a move you would have made in that spot.

If that makes you feel any better, that is.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

i don't think my play in that charity tournament matter too much Hoy.


PWNED !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home