Wednesday, April 26, 2006

"If You Win The Seat, You Better Watch Your Back At The WSOP"

Well it looks like I have gone and done it. I have pissed off the blogging community. A couple of lines of chat taken out of context, and now Dugglebogey is threatening to kick my ass. I had no idea, that bloggers when offended by chat like to threaten physical violence to the offender, but I guess that's how they roll. Anyway, I would like to take the opportunity to explain what happened from my point of view. I have to say that I am extremely sorry about what happened, and will take the required steps to eliminate the problem going forward.

First of all, the chat in question was directed at smokkee. We have a history. There is no way I break out the R word to a fellow blogger. Smokkee works with me. He started playing poker to be part of the The Newport Poker Open which is a monthly private tournament on PokerStars. Of all the people at Newport I have gotten into poker, Smokkee is by far the most dedicated. He is single and is able to play way more poker online and live than I can. He plays by feel and with more aggression then I do. I am more of a numbers/grinder type player. We discuss poker a lot, and have a lot of good things to teach each other due to our different playing styles. Smokkee also started blogging shortly after I showed him mine. Smokkee and myself are at the top of the season standings in the Newport Poker Open, and have developed quite a rivalry of sorts. In the Newport Poker Open, because we all work together, quite a bit of trash talking goes down. Its all in good fun, but would definitely seem strange to an outside observer.

We also end up playing a lot together on FullTilt in the cash games, token S&Gs, and MTTs. Smokkee has this very annoying habit of observing my table, and doing play be play from the rail. He also goes as far as commenting on what he thinks my strategy is or what type of player he thinks I am from the rail. I talked with him about this in person, and told him that it was inappropriate, and I wanted him to stop. If he continued trying to reveal my playing style/strategy at the tables, I would have to contact support and try to get his chat privledges revoked. He slowed down at first, but essentially continued to the point where I had to turn off observer chat on FullTilt. This seemed to resolve the problem, except now he would find me and sit at my table to chat. I did not consider turning off chat when he is at my table, but it looks like thats what I need to do next.

Now for the incident during the DADI Tournament on Monday night. About an hour or so into the tournament, I was moved to smokkee's table. There were a couple of comments made before the hand in question. First he called me a "tranny" which he loves to do. I guess because I always play with a female avatar. He also said something like "Blinders, you can't win this thing if your only willing to play AA and KK". I don't really mind the tranny comment, but the AA or KK goes to my playing style (Not true!), and these types of comments are inappropriate to be making during a tournament. If you think you have someone figured out, keep it to yourself. Giving information to other players about an opponent, that they may not have picked up themselves in inappropriate.

I pick up KK in early position, and make a standard 3x preflop raise. A shortstack who has been overplaying the hammer all night long reraises all-in. I call. He has the hammer. The flop comes down with A2x, pairing the hammer. Then smokkee does the chat hijack trick that we have all seen before where you type a card you want to come and hit return over and over to fill the chat box.
7
7
7
7
7
7
7
7
7

Now, this is pretty annoying to me. If it was the guy with the hammer doing it, so be it. His tournament life is at stake, and he is begging for a card. Cool. But for someone not in the hand to be obnoxiously begging for a suckout to happen to another player is very rude and not cool.

Turn is an A.

Smokkee continues with the chat Hijack
7
7
7
7
7
7
7

Now the 7 here does not help the hammer. I have two pair Aces, and Kings. I only lose to the 2. The 2 does not fall on the river.

I chat something like this "learn the hand rankings retard", directed at the chat Hijacker, Smokkee. Ok, I dropped the R word, and that is inappropriate. Smokkee replys "that's gay", and I respond "your gay".

At his point DuggleBogey and Spaceman take serious objection to the conversation. Rightfully so in my opinion. They don't know the history between us, so it looks strange. They say things like "I hate playing in these tourneys" and "I wish only real bloggers play in these things". I immediately apologized for the chat. The two continue to go on and on, and I apologized again. Then Dugglebogey breaks out the "If you win the seat, you better watch your back at the WSOP". Now to me saying something like that goes way beyond dropping the R word. Chat is one thing, but threatening to beat up a fellow blogger is insane. Anyway, I am truly sorry for what happened. I hope you guys will give me a second chance. As for Smokkee, I will be turning off chat when I am at his table. The guy really knows how to get under my skin. It is no good for my poker to chat with him while playing and it annoys me. He can always talk to me at work, if he has something to say.

5 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

After that went down, I think you went out of your way to apologize to Duggle and Spaceman but, they weren't having it.

BTW, the comment i made was "are you gonna play anything other than AA or KK". you responding with "i want everyone to think that's all i play". so it didn't seem to offend you at the time.

Also, i've made a point not to chat with you at tables unless you chime in first. I may have chatted about some action at another table i was on but, not what's happening at our table in while.

So, not to worry i won't chat at you in tourneys and I'm sure i won't see you at any 2/4 NL tables anytime soon.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger DuggleBogey said...

I think maybe the threat of violence was also taken out of context.

My point is that it is not smart to make an ass out of yourself at a tournament where you are going to eventually meet the people live if you win.

I did not know I was stepping into a rivalry between two other people, and it certainly seemed like your comments were directed at the whole table.

Seems like you and smokkee should just have sex and get all this sexual tension over with.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

smoke's not into trannys!

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger The Royal Sampler said...

Hombre,

Don't apologise. Don't worry about the cool kids. If you take offense to people wishing a bad beat on you, then that's your business.

You're dealing with people who deal out vitriol and insult on a daily basis, yet are incapable of taking any themselves.

The best thing you can do now is to get to the WSOP.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Blinders said...

I have to admit that I root for the hammer bigtime in the blogger tourneys, so I should be more tolerant, even with smokkee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home